As experience has shown, social emotional behavioural difficulty is complex, complicated and has no one definitive cause. A difficult life experience, for instance, parental separation, poor self image, bullying, isolation, poverty, rejection, parental abandonment, crime, difficulty in reading and writing, death of a carer, being placed in care could trigger a pupil to behave in an inappropriate and challenging manner Given the complexity of the problems our pupils experience it is imperative that they receive Care, Education and Therapy in a safe, homely, stimulating, challenging and rewarding environment in the hope that some stability could be established in what for many would already have been quite a chaotic start to life. We provide therapeutic support within our living-learning environment, The Grange Therapeutic School.
The Therapy Team is an invaluable resource of the school which provides:
- Safe spaces for children with complex presenting psychological problems to discuss their difficulties.
- Facilitation for pupil living - learning.
- Occasional support for some families and carers to help make sense of their children's presenting problems.
- Working closely with, as well as supporting, colleagues in making sense of the complex needs and demands of our pupils
- Professional psychological advice to education and care staff and other specialists where needed.